ARIZONA STATE SENATE
Fifty-Fifth Legislature, Second Regular Session
youth music and art special plates
Establishes youth music and art special plates and the Youth Music and Art Special Plates Fund (Fund).
The Arizona Department of Transportation (ADOT) Motor Vehicle Division provides one license plate to every motor vehicle owner for each vehicle registered. ADOT must issue or renew special license plates in lieu of regular license plates under specified conditions and procedures. The fee for obtaining or renewing a special license plate is $25, of which $8 is an administration fee that ADOT deposits in the State Highway Fund (SHF) and $17 is a donation to a specific organization (A.R.S. §§ 28-2351; 28-2402; and 28-2403).
There is no anticipated fiscal impact to the state General Fund associated with this legislation.
1. Requires ADOT to issue a youth music and art special plate if, by December 31, 2022, a person pays the $32,000 implementation fee to ADOT.
2. Requires the person who pays the $32,000 fee to design the youth music and art special plates, subject to approval by ADOT.
3. Allows the Director of ADOT (Director) to combine a youth music and art special plate request with a personalized special plate request.
4. Specifies that a combined request must be submitted on a Director-prescribed form and is subject to the fees for both the youth music and art special plates and personalized license plate.
5. Specifies that, of the $25 fee required to obtain and renew a youth music and art special plate, $8 is an administration fee and $17 is an annual donation.
6. Establishes the Fund which is to be administered by the Director.
7. Requires the first $32,000 in the Fund to be reimbursed to the person who paid the initial implementation fee.
8. Prohibits the Director from spending more than 10 percent of the monies deposited annually to administer the Fund.
9. Specifies that the monies in the Fund are continuously appropriated.
10. Requires the Director to annually allocate monies from the Fund, excluding administrative fees, to an entity which:
a) is a charitable organization that is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit;
b) is located in Arizona;
c) has been in existence since 1995;
d) has a mission to inspire persons who are between 12 and 21 years of age to grow through music, dance and art;
e) provides an inclusive, welcoming and safe place for teenagers to explore and discover their creativity and give them the hope they need to change their lives;
f) fosters a support system, facility and classes in the arts and entertainment to impact the lives of young persons and shape their futures for the better; and
g) uniquely provides classes, lessons, mentorship and guidance from various accomplished members and celebrities in the arts field.
11. Requires ADOT to deposit all youth music and art special plate administration fees in the SHF and all donations collected in the Fund.
12. Requires, on notice of the Director, the State Treasurer to credit monies earned to the Fund and invest and divest monies in the Fund.
13. Makes conforming changes.
14. Becomes effective on the general effective date.
TRANS 2/9/22 DP 11-0-1-0
3rd Read 2/17/22 41-17-2
Prepared by Senate Research
March 17, 2022